Does the cold weather have you hunkered in at home? Are you getting the non-stop “I’m bored” whining coming from your kids? I know that whine all too well, so in recent winter’s passed I decided to do something about it. I gathered a group of ideas and my family and I try to implement them each and every year to stave off the boredom, while having fun as a family. My favorite part though, is that we are creating life-long memories that we are all going to cherish.
Here are some of our favorite winter activities:
Christmas lights tour – It is the holidays after all, and what would the holidays be without some glorious Christmas lights? We live in Oregon and have some really great Christmas light displays available to us within an hour’s drive or so (I created a list of my favorite Oregon Christmas light displays here). We like to fill up two thermos’ one with coffee for myself (hubby doesn’t drink coffee so it’s all for me!!) and one filled with hot cocoa for the kids and drive around enjoying the beautiful, colorful displays. We actually do this several times throughout December as it’s just not possible to hit them all in even one or two nights.
Family Gingerbread House Contest – Last year we got together with my husbands family, which includes my husband’s dad and his brother and sister and their families’. Each family had their own Gingerbread House Kit and decorated it in competition with the other families. There was no big prizes and no it wasn’t a heated competition, just great fun! My favorite part was watching all of the kids working so hard to make their houses perfect.
Craft Time – Arts and crafts are always a fun way to spend time when you can’t go out in the cold. Even if you are not super creative (that’s me), there are lots of fun things to do! My kids really like doing this Word Search and coloring in Christmas coloring books.
2016 PINTEREST PARTY WINTER BLOG HOP
This post is part of the Pinterest Party 2016 Winter Blog Hop. The Pinterest Party is a group that helps people grow their Pinterest following. Find other posts in this blog hop below:
1. Steampunkary – Steampunk Christmas Ornaments & Decorations Gift Guide
2. Grammie Knows How – Winter Essentials for Safety on the Road
3. Determined to Shine – Inspired by Angels: A Holiday Art Journal Project Using Coloring Book Pages
4. Deal Finding Family – (That’s me!!)
5. Unique-Christmas-Decorations – Winter Wonderland Christmas Decorating Ideas
6. Kids Fun Reviewed – Grinch Printable Whoville Cupcakes Topper
7. Little Blog in the Country – Peppermint Herb Bath Bombs
9. Birthstone Magic – Winter Colored Birthstones: Beautiful Blue and White Birthstones for Winter Celebrate the Season
10. Olives-N-Okra – Christmas Granny Square Dish Cloths – Free Crochet Pattern
12. Housewives Hobbies – Christmas Free Knitting Patterns
13. Essential Oils for Guide – 20 Ways to Stay Healthy & Stress-Free During the Holidays
14. Best Gifts for Happy Living – How To Decorate Your Dining Table For Christmas
15. Pennies & Playdough – 25 Christmas Books Your Child Will Love
17. Stephanie Grams – Products and Tips for Protecting Your Skin this Winter